LJI Wk 2 - Vampire Load
Oct. 4th, 2026 11:39 amI'm dreaming about work again. This is my canary in the coal mine.
The first time it happened was back in the mid nineties when I ran a tax-prep office - during the height of the season I'd always start dreaming about returns with impossible numbers of dependents, and clients who didn't bring any ID, and running between six different desks because all my staff had called out.
A decade later I was working at the university for a tyrannical, micromanaging director who had me in literal tears in the office on a regular basis (super embarrassing when you're in your forties!). Twice a year we had extra-busy periods when I was responsible for making sure our events were organized to perfection, and I routinely cried on my husband's shoulder in the morning before managing to pry myself out of bed to begin the day.
Then I got a different job, and life got good. I enjoyed what I did, and even busy times didn't rattle me too much.
Fast forward to now and I'm in a new, highly demanding job, wrestling circular systemic problems and staff with unfortunate habits needing to be retrained. I'm reading and answering work emails at all hours. I'm having to scold myself out of the urge to get on the computer and deal with office issues over the weekend. And this morning I woke up exhausted from an all-night mental rehash of overdue, nonsensical budget issues. But the job isn't the problem.
Two years ago I could have done this job standing on my head. With one hand tied behind my back. While riding a unicycle. The challenges would have been stimulating and energizing and I'd have enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment from every little win.
Then my mom came to live nearby.
Before Covid she was healthy as a septuagenarian could be. After 18 months alone in her house, sitting in her recliner staring at the TV, she became a different person - and that person is fading away day by day, right before my eyes. She gets confused about small things. Her short-term memory is failing. She falls frequently, often requiring a trip to the ER to make sure nothing is broken. She forgets to eat. A medication dispenser with an alarm isn't sufficient to remind her to take her pills - she just turns the alarm off and sets the pill box aside. Some days she doesn't leave her armchair from breakfast until bedtime.
She doesn't require a lot of my actual physical time. The facility where she lives delivers meals - if she remembers to call and order them - and she has an aide who comes in for an hour in the morning to make sure she's up and clean and has everything she needs. I visit a couple of times a week, run her errands and take her to doctor appointments, and sometimes she calls at dinnertime or 11:00 or 3 a.m. and says, "I'm on the floor..." and I have to get dressed and drive over there and try to lift her back in her chair or into bed.
But every time my phone rings now I freeze. Because I don't know - is she out of detergent, or has she broken a bone? Is the aide calling because Mom needs a prescription picked up, or do I need to stop what I'm doing right now and get over there? Is that "unknown caller" spam, or an EMT?
And even when I'm not dealing with her errands or appointments or other needs directly, part of me still is. Part of me always is.
So next time I'm at the store, I'd better buy that coalmine canary some treats and a new toy to keep her energy and spirits up, because we've still got work to do.
The first time it happened was back in the mid nineties when I ran a tax-prep office - during the height of the season I'd always start dreaming about returns with impossible numbers of dependents, and clients who didn't bring any ID, and running between six different desks because all my staff had called out.
A decade later I was working at the university for a tyrannical, micromanaging director who had me in literal tears in the office on a regular basis (super embarrassing when you're in your forties!). Twice a year we had extra-busy periods when I was responsible for making sure our events were organized to perfection, and I routinely cried on my husband's shoulder in the morning before managing to pry myself out of bed to begin the day.
Then I got a different job, and life got good. I enjoyed what I did, and even busy times didn't rattle me too much.
Fast forward to now and I'm in a new, highly demanding job, wrestling circular systemic problems and staff with unfortunate habits needing to be retrained. I'm reading and answering work emails at all hours. I'm having to scold myself out of the urge to get on the computer and deal with office issues over the weekend. And this morning I woke up exhausted from an all-night mental rehash of overdue, nonsensical budget issues. But the job isn't the problem.
Two years ago I could have done this job standing on my head. With one hand tied behind my back. While riding a unicycle. The challenges would have been stimulating and energizing and I'd have enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment from every little win.
Then my mom came to live nearby.
Before Covid she was healthy as a septuagenarian could be. After 18 months alone in her house, sitting in her recliner staring at the TV, she became a different person - and that person is fading away day by day, right before my eyes. She gets confused about small things. Her short-term memory is failing. She falls frequently, often requiring a trip to the ER to make sure nothing is broken. She forgets to eat. A medication dispenser with an alarm isn't sufficient to remind her to take her pills - she just turns the alarm off and sets the pill box aside. Some days she doesn't leave her armchair from breakfast until bedtime.
She doesn't require a lot of my actual physical time. The facility where she lives delivers meals - if she remembers to call and order them - and she has an aide who comes in for an hour in the morning to make sure she's up and clean and has everything she needs. I visit a couple of times a week, run her errands and take her to doctor appointments, and sometimes she calls at dinnertime or 11:00 or 3 a.m. and says, "I'm on the floor..." and I have to get dressed and drive over there and try to lift her back in her chair or into bed.
But every time my phone rings now I freeze. Because I don't know - is she out of detergent, or has she broken a bone? Is the aide calling because Mom needs a prescription picked up, or do I need to stop what I'm doing right now and get over there? Is that "unknown caller" spam, or an EMT?
And even when I'm not dealing with her errands or appointments or other needs directly, part of me still is. Part of me always is.
So next time I'm at the store, I'd better buy that coalmine canary some treats and a new toy to keep her energy and spirits up, because we've still got work to do.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 05:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 06:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 09:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 09:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 11:17 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 12:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-04 11:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 12:15 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 12:16 am (UTC)I don't currently work, but I often have nightmares where I am back at my old jobs. Several of them were...very much less than ideal. After these nightmares, I awaken in a panic.
I'm sorry you are so stressed :( Hugs to you!
no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 01:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 12:25 am (UTC)I hope you find some small bits of time to give yourself mini-recharges in whatever ways work. Whether it be a favorite cup of coffee or re-watching a favorite show, or just taking a short walk in a beautiful place.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 01:13 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 02:18 am (UTC)But these days, I think of my parents sitting in that rotting house - never going out, no one coming in, dad taking shit care of mom and mom not able to take care of any - and me being in another country and completely unable to do anything about it.... and I get this post. In a tiny little part of my brain, there is that constant drain.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:42 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 06:15 am (UTC)The constant uncertainty coupled with responsibility T_T
no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:40 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 08:23 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:40 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-05 09:47 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:38 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:12 am (UTC)The falling, though... always a panic with an elderly person. :(
no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 02:38 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 03:56 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 03:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 05:27 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 04:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 06:23 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 04:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 02:52 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 04:43 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 03:55 pm (UTC)I've been there. Even when I wasn't I was thinking about Mom. What she might need, want, like. Who needed to be called on her behalf.
I get it. ❤❤❤
no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 04:41 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 09:40 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 10:45 pm (UTC)I can identify HARD with the phone call feeling and not knowing what is next - calamity or idleness. The nervous system gets too worked up.
I hope you do find some treats and relaxation somewhere along the way.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-08 10:37 am (UTC)It's good to see you back in idol. Good luck this season.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-10 06:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 04:07 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 07:07 pm (UTC)